Friday, September 5, 2008

Molting

A few months back, we took a trip to the Oregon Zoo. See #5 from our Junary trip. We learned that spiders will shed their exoskeletons, much like a snake molts. They had examples of large tarantellas. I didn't know that before our visit.

This morning I discovered a spider skeleton near the pool. The kids were able to find others. I think I've seen these exoskeletons before and just assumed that it was a dead, decayed spider.

2 comments:

The Whalens said...

Yeah Noah, people that live near the safaris in Africa have to constantly watch out that they don't trip over the huge lumps of old gray elephant skins, since they too shed their exoskeletons.
YOu're funny! :D

The Whalens said...

Yeah Noah, people that live near the safaris in Africa have to constantly watch out that they don't trip over the huge lumps of old gray elephant skins, since they too shed their exoskeletons.
YOu're funny! :D